Monday, July 03, 2006

health short term - long term

For me some of those future health impacts are know with certainty, hay fever season start from March and lasts to September in Scotland. However, this year I spent part of winter in California and hay fever started in February but I found no need to take any anti histamines during the summer months. A steroid spray and eye drops keeping symptoms at bay. I took the decision to stop taking the tablets. I have this constant desire not to take pharma medicine and the grass looks brown so these factors added up to allow me to stop. And I feel better, for not taking the tablets, in a long-term sense, as I still have to take some pharma medicine. However, there is so much public pollen information out there. Why can this not be personalized to the allergy blood tests I have and my knowledge on the times of year I get hay fever?

My lifestyle activates also set annual health goals. I like skiing, especially free skiing. This is fairly extreme exercise in terms of endurance and physical stress and I suppose mental stress, positive success and determination to reach a summit. I know that I cannot just turn on the health to live these goals. Therefore, I need to keep fit all during the year and focus on particular exercises as winter draws in.

Chronic disease, whether it be heart, cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis, Alzheimer’s etc. I associate with old age. Or is it an accumulation of my lifestyle choices and genes? Science, in my mind has not given us a framework with any degree of certainty in terms of the direct cause and effect of these diseases. Time frames of cause and effect are long, I assume. I am persuaded to change based on such science? Contrast this with a sudden pain in my right hip. I feel it and take the time to rest and exercise it. However, could this be the start to hip replacement in later years? If I knew this would I change my lifestyle goals? Or would I seek ways to live the goals but minimize the risks I am now aware of?

It is a tricky balance, short term seems to win but in the long run I want to maximise my overall lifestyle.

No comments: