Thursday, June 29, 2006

Mineral supplement, natural?

I have resisted until today to take a daily multi minerals and vitamin supplement. Surely, if I am eating real foods, fresh, local and organic and water as pure as it comes from nature in a Scottish valley then surely I should be getting all those mineral and vitamins? I have listened to others, friends to medical experts, retailers to natural food stores in the past but I have not been persuaded however, this week I started taking a daily natural multi mineral and vitamin supplement.

I should state that I am still highly sceptical of any 'benefits' so I am performing my own trail for the next few months.

Why give a daily supplement a go? What persuaded me to act? I was listening to a talk given by a food evangelist for all her days. A pioneer in recipe writing in the USA. A person that I found lots of commonality with. She had resist supplements too and she has engaged in a far more in-depth manner than I have with leading nutrition and medical experts. There advice to her was that today’s soils are just too depleted of minerals and thus plants growing in the ground have no minerals to pack inside their roots, tubers and leafs etc. Regardless of how we cook the fruit/vegetables they just do not contain the levels of minerals and vitamins our body’s demand. Thus they recommend a daily multi supplement.

So, in the end it was a non-medical expert that made the impact on me to buy my first bottle of supplements. I had to decide where to buy them, online or in store. I chose a physical store, specializing in natural and organic produce ranges. Why? Because I believe there supplement will be made from natural ingredients and I buy there regularly.

How will I measure the benefits? In reduced colds? Over what time frame? Questions I a still thinking about.

No comments: