Sunday, June 25, 2006

Consumption and my genes

To fuel my lifestyle I consume a wide range of substances, from water to orange juice, potatoes to pasta, bread to bacon, cooked to raw etc. From my pre-existing knowledge I understand I am, who I am, from my genes and the environment I have experienced since being born. But is there a direct correlation with specific foods and my health? I have an understanding of nutrigenomics and businesses like, www.infogene.com , www.dnadirect.com are allowing me to find out the gene impact of certain foods and health issues.

Given I know the results from these tests, will I change my behavior to minimize my risk of developing chronic disease? Or is my focus to maximize the experiences and goals my lifestyle aspires to? How do I know what gene test to buy? Why can't I send one test that will tell me all the answers?

No comments: